Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ryan Abbott
Theater
April 16 2009
Final Project
Show Report
I have always wanted to go and see a Broadway show but never really had an opportunity to. I never had the opportunity because I have only been to New York City a couple times and that was just for the Macys Day Parade when I was younger too, and all I even remember from that is it being freezing cold and never wanting to go back. My brother recently went to New York City with his friend and they went to see a Broadway show they saw Wicked. He is not the type of person who would ever what to see a show like that but he said it was awesome and that just got me wanting to go even more. The musical I really want to see though is The Lion King.
When I was younger the Disney movie The Lion King was big and I liked it so much. I remember watching the movie constantly then I found out there was a video game for the super Nintendo out. I use to play that game for hours and hours nonstop. As I got older though the whole lion king phase started to fade away and I did not care much about it anymore. I remember in 8th grade music class watching some video on Broadway and they showed something about The Lion King on there and how it was one of the best Musicals in the world. This peaked my interest back then and wanted to see this musical so badly since then.
The Lion King is a Tony Award and Olivier Award-winning musical based on the 1994 Disney animated movie The Lion King. This Musical is directed by Julie Taymor a great director and the music is by none other than Elton John and lyrics by Tim Rice. The musical features actors in animal costumes as well as giant, hollow puppets. The show was first played off Broadway in 1997 and was an instant huge success. The Lion King was already overseas by 1999 premiering in the United Kingdom. To show its crazy success “a Canadian production of the show was staged in Toronto and ran for nearly four years at the Princess of Wales Theatre. The Lion King ran from 1999 - 2004. A Los Angeles production began performances at the Pantages Theatre on September 29, 2000 with an official opening on October 19, 2000. The show closed on January 12, 2003 after 952 performances. The Lion King played at the Capitol Theatre in Sydney, Australia, from October 16, 2003, until June 26, 2005. The production then ran at the Regent Theatre in Melbourne from July 28, 2005 until June 4, 2006.” This just shows the success of the musical by how long it lasts where ever it shows.
Just looking at all of the success The Lion King has had it is a sure thing that this musical will not be a bust, especially to someone who enjoyed the animated film of the lion king. This musical is probably the last step to anything having to do with The Lion King until someone else tries to make some movie or something to try to make some money off of the name it has all around the world. I am still waiting for an opportunity to see this play and I hope it does come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment