Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ryan Abbott
Theater
14 April 2009
Final Project
Relate Theater to your passions and hobbies
A major aspect to theater is taking a certain role that is not necessarily how you would usually act. In theater you have to get the audience to believe something that you are not. This can be a very difficult task but if you can master this you would have a bright future. When I relate theater to my passions and hobbies there are a lot of similarities.
Sports are one of my favorite things to do or watch. I am a very competitive person so it really does not matter too much what sport I am playing but my favorite are the three main sports football, basketball, and baseball. When playing these sports you kind of become something you are not. When I play football all I am about is stopping the other team from scoring with whatever it takes and trying to score with whatever it takes. In basketball and baseball it is the same situation. Nothing else matters when I am competing in something especially one of these three, all I am concerned about is one goal and that is to win. I know you are probably thinking how this has anything to do with theater but theater has its one main goal to and that is to perform well and put on a good show for the audience, and if you have some other sort of distraction it makes that goal so much harder to reach. An example of having a distraction bringing everyone down is having a player on your team who has some other problem and the team focuses on that and not there job on the field or court. Or maybe an actor in a play does a horrible job because they are distracted by some other outside event and their screw up could make the play look not as believable. A theatrical team and a sports team are teams and if one person can not do their job it will bring everyone else down. I know majority of people who watch a play or even a movie see everything as separate, just each person doing what they need to do but it is a lot more than that. I have seen plenty of movies when there is an actor or actress who looks like they are acting and I do not believe what they are trying to sell (that they are an evil killing person or a nice caring person). When I see movies like this that have just one person who does not live what to what the situation is asking for I become very uninterested and do not like what I am watching.
The Lion King staff is just as much as a team as the Pittsburgh Stealers staff is. The actors, actresses, stage crew, producers, choreographers, the director and many more have to work together just like all of the players and coaches of any sports team have to do to achieve their main goal. If one person falls apart everyone will fall apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment